Friday, June 26, 2009

BC#11 Wednesdayt 3 May 2006
Host - Janet
Book – The Sea by John Banville
This was the first bookclub of our latest member Jaqui Hoskins. Janet was understandably nervous after her last effort. A balmy May night and we sat outside. The book divided people. Some couldn’t see the point of it at all and found the description which Janet herself found cryingly beautiful, gratuitous and dull. Those who hated the description also found the plot somewhat light on which Janet conceded but maintained the book still stands up as unforgettable. The night ended quite early as BC still had memories of a year ago when last hosted at Janet’s. Host had a severe hangover the next day. (written by Janet)

Author Night - Wednesday 31 May 2006
Janet + Helie + Donna Mc + Ingrid to John Banville talk at Customs House. Perhaps slightly disappointing as he talked less about writing The Sea and more about winning the Man Booker Prize and the controversy that ensued. (written by Janet)

BC# 13 Wednesday 7 June 2006
Host – Donna McLaughjn
Book - Affection, There Is No Cure by Ian Townsend
Janet, Helen, Anna, Denise, Paula and Ingrid all met at Donna's wee flat in riverside Chelmer for an uncharacteristically late start to BC. I too usually avoid historical fiction like the plague (ha ha!!) but was tempted to read this one having worked with the author at Radio National, and found him to be a lovely and humble human being.

I had also read lots of positive reviews which made me think I should support a local Brisbane writer. Once I started reading it, I enjoyed being able to relate to the physicality of the places he describes, Townsville in particular - but the character of the North in general, and also liked having a bit of a chuckle as I read. It felt like he'd really worked the book - except it lagged at one point for me - and I got that sinking feeling, oh no, it's one of those first novels that can't go the distance (it was around the time that the tent hospital was being talked about - it felt to me that he lost a bit of momentum there ...) but overall the pace and mood was enjoyable, easy to engage with.

anyway, back to BC. we all sat around my dining room table - the most people I've ever had in my flat - and we ate nibblies and drank wine and mineral water, talked about the book and John Banville ( I didn't mind that he was short ...) I had taken notes and read a quote from his talk that evening at Customs House - "A work of art generates its own law which cannot be transgressed." This confirmed for me that he was a true writer because he spoke so beautifully - this was just one sentence among many. I liked that as the former Literary Editor of the Irish Times he was able to speak truthfully about the business of writing reviews - "some books don't work!" and his own pride at writing experiences - so that the act of reading becomes experiential ... oh I digress, and so we talked about the BC author too - Ian Townsend that is - and Anna said Why didn't I invite him? I had thought of it, but wondered where he'd fit in a room full of strident women, in such a tiny physical space ... so there will be a chance to meet him, hopefully, at the 2006 Brisbane Writers Festival.

I loved the evening - the many cigarettes that were smoked on the minature balcony and the ranting by one and all, amidst speculation about the Title - is Affection the verb of infection? and so on. My feeling is that Affection was what occurred between the doctor and his patients - that he did in fact have a real affection for them - as well as lovely stories from Helen about her reading of Affection - her moments with the book in quiet while her baby slept and the impeccable timing of her finishing the final sentence just as her baby woke ...and stories from Hele & Janet about the Eagle Junction Fete, book covering, and their parents ( I feel like I know them...) and talk of art on my walls (George and Willy Tjungarrayi and Rover Thomas etc) prompted me to give funny little pastel rants on paper to each person who was there... I think Ingrid lost her little orange pastel heart which had no story except that which exists between a work of art and its admirer... then the lovely women left en masse - leaving me with crumbs from the turkish bread and empty bottles to clean up and a gorgeous warm feeling. loved having you all in my flat and thanks from my heart for contributing your beautiful selves to the occasion. (Donna McLaughlan)

No comments:

Post a Comment